Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 1 - Adelaide to Singapore

We arrived in Adelaide last night - plans for a glass of bubbly quickly went out the window when we remembered Adelaide shuts at 6pm each day.....option two was a take away pizza and a glass of wine in bed.

We woke this morning filled with anticipation, headed off to the Clinic where the lab and nursing staff were waiting for us.
The first sighting of the vessel (R2-D2) - as you can see by the photos, was the nursing staff carefully transporting him (r2-d2) out of the lift on a trolley. The enormity of what we were doing hit home like a tonne of bricks. I burst in to tears, Obie, being a supportive husband, reassured me we were doing the right thing and then got the camera out to be sure no single part of the process would be left undocumented.

We signed a million forms to say that they were now officially our responsibility...scary! then got in to the smallest car in the world (the rental), a manual! and lets just say Obie left the gear box at several intersections between Dulwich and the Airport.

We arrived at the airport, hearts beating at a million miles an hour - went to check in and, at first, the lady had no idea of our situation, accept that we had a strange piece of cargo.

While standing at the counter another lady came up to us and said "I have to ask, what's in the mushroom". My reply "don't ask, its a long story", she went again, asking the same question and in a more stern voice I replied again - DON'T ask, its a long story.

That was just the beginning of the stares and questions - if "what the?" was a currency we would now be millionaires.

Through to security - where the real work started and thankfully, all our preparedness paid off. They were anticipating our arrival and had all the required paperwork on hand. They simply walked us through and were absolutely awesome.

Our legs were like jelly and for the first time I picked up R2-D2 to carry it a few hundred metres - giving Obie a rest. First thing I did was nearly (very nearly) walk straight through an x-ray point with it in my hand......luckily Obie saw what I was doing and stopped me. Quickly removing the cargo from me and sternly advising that I was no longer qualified to carry it. (FYI- can't be x-rayed or screened as this will instantly destroy the embryos).....God I'm stupid.
At the gate we were met by another Qantas staff member who was fully briefed and waiting for us. The O'Brien family were first to board and had a team of flight crew waiting for our arrival. R2-D2's temporary home in business class was all prepared and he fitted perfectly! - while we were down the back in economy!! Adds new meaning to the saying "born with a silver spoon in their mouth"...
Qantas crew handed us a much needed glass of bubbly - and then another. Thanks to Doccy we were looked after like kings and queens and were the topic of much discussion throughout the flight.
We took off, one last check to see they hadn't tilted during take-off and then we could relax for a few hours.
Arrived in Singapore, greeted by Qantas ground crew who assured us that everything is under control at Singapore Airport's end. phew....two airports down and one to go.
With 4 hours to fill in, we're off to have a massage, do some shopping and brace ourselves for the next leg....
Hope this finds everyone well.
Love Aly and Obie.





8 comments:

  1. By the time you guys read this you should have arrived in India, hopefully your precious cargo arrived safely aswell without any hassles!! Just wanted to know we are excited for you both and love that you have posted a blog to keep us all updated. We have everything crossed and our prayers are with you. xx Sonia, Potty & Lara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG it's huge, I thought it was going to fit in your handbag, neatly disguised. Not likely - Although I think I would have a handbag big enough that it could have fit in! I hope you made it through the other end OK - waiting with baited breath for the next post xxx Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your blog is amazing, I read it with a mix of excitment, chills and teary eyes! Am hoping by now all is well and you and R2D2 are through the airport in India on your way to your destination. Constantly thinking and praying. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOOD NEWS FOR ONCE...ONE MAJOR HEADACHE OUT THE WAY.... LETS MOVE ON TO THE NEXT. GOOD TO HEAR YOU MADE IT THROUGH

    LOVE YOU BOTH
    DAD & MUM

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sitting here laughing and crying at the same time... It is such great news that you are in india. I actually thought that R2D2 was a little smaller and maybe a little more attractive. No wonder he drew so much attention!! We wait anxiously now for your update on how project stork has been up till now. Our prayers do not stop. love you both kisses and hugs from us all xxx :) (sorry deleted the first comment by mistake!!! don't quite know how!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not quite the unassuming, esky-like container I'd pictured! How funny. I'm so glad everyone has helped you on the journey, and I know Amit is probably driving you through the streets of Mumbai right now, giving you lots of useful info. I can't wait to hear that R2D2 has been safely delivered and that you're poolside at the JW with bubbles. It's quite amazing to watch someone we care so much about go through a journey we only tread ourselves so recently (albeit without the Star Wars character) ... what a rush! Thinking of you, praying for you, lots of love, kt and nuts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news guys, you're through one of the big hurdles of this trip. Phew, what a major relief... you probably would have heard the collective sighs and cheers from Oz in India! Hope you get some good sleep soon, good luck at the hospital. We are all waiting eagerly for the next 'news flash'. Loving you lots...Jo & Nan xxx

    ReplyDelete